Books, tea and a curious little typewriter

typewriterWeekends usually get me thinking about books (and booze, at times) but this was a particularly special weekend where I believe I booked my time rather well. I did two things to achieve that – a) bought a typewriter and b) made a list of the books that everyone must read at least once in their lifetimes. My friends didn’t see anything particularly charming about the second activity as a wise one commented I could google the list of Classics and save myself the effort. But it isn’t so. Not all the Classics find a mention here and nor will some of the names here ever make it to a Classics list.

Presenting, my very own book bucket-list:

1)      Dracula by Bram Stoker

2)      Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

3)      The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

4)      Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell

5)      To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

6)      The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien

7)      The Lord of the Flies by William Golding

8)      Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

9)      Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

10)   The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

11)   Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

12)   The Brother Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

13)   The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

14)   The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

15)   The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

16)   The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

17)   The Oystercatchers by Susan Fletcher

18)   The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

19)   The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

20)   The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

As for the typewriter, I found it in a charity shop where the lady in the counter seemed surprised to see my interest in the ‘old thing.’ It’s a Hermes Baby, made in 40s. In perfect working condition and perfectly loveable, the typewriter goes well with my quirky writer image. Now I plan to spend every other weekend typing away furiously, with a pot of tea within easy reach and my glasses perched on my nose.

One thought on “Books, tea and a curious little typewriter

1. great list, i have read 7 of the books on your list, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is my most fav can read this over and over x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>