Green Tea: Champion in a Teapot

greenteaI have never been much of a tea-lover. Whatever you serve it with, be it frosted cupcakes, scones, crackers or salted biscuits (sweet, milky tea and salty biscuits is one combination that baffles the living daylights out of me but still does not baffle me enough to make me want to try it), tea has never done anything to me.

This disability (for the lack of a better word) has left me in a spot of bother many times. What do I do when friends want to meet for tea? My relationship with tea cups, which I will talk about another time, is in complete contrast with what I feel for the drink itself. But not drinking tea has not gone down too well with my friends and has in fact, brought me a few notches down the social ladder. While some have threatened me with dire consequences, others have tried to cajole me by citing health benefits. Has the relentless persuasion worked? To an extent, yes! So, I am still averse to the milky variety (I am beginning to think it might be the milk I dislike, not the tea), I have started enjoying green tea, surprise surprise!

My friends sure were surprised considering the not-so-thrilling taste of the tea of my choice. But just look around those health journals or go on the internet and you will realise that there is hardly any other food or drink that packs in as many benefits as green tea does. Drinking a few cups of green tea a day can:

• Lower your risk of cancer
  • Stabilise cholesterol levels
  • Prevent cardiovascular disease
  • Reduce tooth decay
  • Promote weight loss
  • Ease the pain of rheumatoid arthritis
  • Boost immunity
  • Fight allergies
  • Slow down the onset of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
  • Reduce and prevent acne
  • Prevent wrinkles

Suddenly, green tea doesn’t taste all that bad, does it? It is an acquired taste and might take a couple of days of getting used to. But considering the fact that it has been proven to be effective in all of these scenarios, I don’t mind downing a few cups every day. What’s your take?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>