Home is where the spa is!

homespaAnother weekend and another round of painting the town crimson in hot, short dresses and stilettos? Thanks but no thanks. The two days that we get at the end of a hectic and stressful 5-day working week are meant to recharge our batteries and get a break from the routines of everyday life. Since we have made going out a routine for the weekends, it is no wonder that we feel tired and are not rested enough on Mondays. So this weekend, I am giving the usual thing a miss. Instead, I plan to stay at home and realllly pamper myself!

If the week has left you feeling overworked and stressed out, it won’t be a surprise if you find a shallow and sluggish-skinned apparition staring at you from the mirror. It is time to bring out the red lights on the pressure and hit the brakes hard. Pencil in some exclusive ‘me’ time and transform your kitchen and your loo into your very own spa! That way, you will be Monday ready without doing any harm to your monthly budget.

Are you ready to be treated like a princess? Read on:

One of the most important things that separates a fab spa from an ordinary one is its ambience. Mention the word spa and the first thing you think is relaxation. So prep up with some soothing music (preferably instrumental), your favourite scented candles, and orchids too if you want to go all out to make it seem authentic. And not to forget, fresh, fluffy, warm towels. Get all the essentials and you are good to go!

Ingredients you will need –

Brown sugar

Ground oatmeal

Sweet almond oil (or olive oil)

Steaming water

Favourite essential oil (Lavender, germanium, ylang ylang, patchouli and tangerine are good choices)

Turn off the lights, light the candles and put the music on. It’s time to begin.

Start with cleansing. Use your favourite face wash but do not be at a hurry. Just like in spas, use soft, circular movements and work your way from chin to forehead. Don’t miss out the neck. Lightly massaging your nape and shoulder blades is a great idea to rid yourself of stress. Use a face towel, wet it with hot water and pat your skin dry.

Lacklustre, sluggish skin greatly benefits from exfoliation. If there is a product you swear by, use it, by all means. Or else, go natural. Mix almond or olive oil with ground oatmeal and brown sugar and make a thick paste. Just as in cleansing, use light movements and exfoliate face, neck and shoulders.

Let the scrub sit for a while. Meanwhile, add the essential oil of choice to a bowl of steaming water, cover your head and breathe in. Do it for a minute or two. Now scrub again and wash off. Pat dry with a fluffy towel.

Now comes the face pack. I love thermal heat release face packs. To choose the right one for yourself, keep your skin type in mind. Once again, you can take the natural route. For dry skin, mash half a banana, add two tbsp of honey and one tbsp sour cream. Mix well. For oily skin, blend half an apple, some mint and lemon juice in a hand blender. Let face masks sit for at least 15 minutes or till they are dry.

While you wait, keep slices of cucumber or potato on your eyes and kick back. Wash off with lukewarm water and apply a generous amount of moisturiser.

To complete the relaxation ritual, don’t forget to down some wine and watch re-runs of Sex and the City. Have fun, ladies!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>