How to awaken your inner Audrey

audrey-hepburnJust the other day while I was flipping through the web pages of Amazon, I came across a book that made me gush and think, “How appropriate!” The book I am talking about is, How to be Hepburn in a Hilton World. Everywhere I see, I find Hilton-esque wannabe starlets prancing around. What has the world come to? Is it so difficult to wear a skirt that hides more than just your modesty? Do necklines really have to reach the navel?

Look at Audrey Hepburn, Coco Chanel, Jackie O and the like. They were and would always be the best looking women the world has ever seen and they managed to rule the imaginations of many generations of men without flashing inappropriately. Contrary to what women of today believe, less is more. In other words, the less you show, the more you interest the man. Men still like a tease better than a full on display and that applies to them of all ages.

I am not suggesting that you need to buy that book. There is no guarantee of course that a book can instill the sense of grace and elegance in anyone. But studying the lives of the beautiful women of the ages gone by, having impeccable manners, being knowledgeable about the arts and languages will still count. In fact, they’d help one stand out from the army of under-dressed, unthinking people we are surrounded by.

A few pointers we can keep in mind to benefit from are:

• Practice good posture
  • Wear pearls
  • Learn to restrain your anger and other emotional outbursts
  • Wear scarves in different styles. Tie one to your handbag
  • Cultivate the love for arts and languages
  • Send letters instead of emails, as far as possible
  • Don’t slurp when you drink
  • Have a signature perfume and wine
  • Learn proper etiquette for all situations
  • Only wear clean clothes and shoes. Never leave your home without brushing your hair. Wear minimal makeup, stockings and gloves.
  • Don’t cross your legs while sitting. Cross your ankles instead. Never slouch

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>