Very few places in the world are as comforting as the kitchen of one’s own. While hope simmers in one pot, promises and dreams come together to make a heady, happy brew in another. Since time immemorial, the kitchen has been considered the heart of a household, a place where all members of the family gather after a long day. As the saying goes, families that eat together, stick together. It won’t be wrong to call food an emotional adhesive which is why a kitchen is viewed as one of the most important statuses of a household.
The state of a kitchen tells us the story of the family. A neglected kitchen, one that is in shambles and in a state of disrepair, is one that belongs to a family that is sub consciously calling out for help. Have things in your kitchen fallen to that level? Here are ten tricks to maintain the kitchen in absolute ship-shape condition:
- Got a knick that won’t stop bleeding? Take a wad of cotton, dab it in honey and press it on the cut. Voila, no more bleeding!
- Pouring milk from a jug is never a mess-free affair as there is always a little that escapes and trickles. Not anymore. Dab the mouth of the jug with butter or margarine and watch it flow out smooth
- To rid your hands off the smelly garlic or onions, rub them over anything metallic, be it a spoon or the faucet. The metal will absorb the smell and your hands will be free of the pungent odour
- Ended up making your curry or soup a tad too salty? Don’t add water and dilute the other ingredients. Instead, drop a piece of peeled potato
- Cracking an egg for an omelette? Use the hard surface of the slab instead of the edge of a bowl or pan. Smoother action guaranteed
- To sharpen your kitchen scissors, take a piece of aluminium foil, fold it 4 times and cut through it half a dozen times. Scissors will be sharp as new
- Never place a bunch of bananas together or even with other fruits. Separate them before storing. Bananas release gases that ripen other fruits (bananas included)
- About to throw the leftover water from boiling potatoes or pasta? Hang on, let it cool down and use it to water house plants and watch them grow
- If you managed to splutter hot oil on yourself, reach for the toothpaste before reaching for water. It ensures scar-free healing
If you accidentally burned your gravy, transfer it to another pan and keep cooking. If it is rice that got burned, put a piece of white bread on top of the burned rice for 5-10minutes. It will absorb the smell. While serving, make sure not to scrape the charred bits