North Wales is where you ought to be

llanfairfechanLike all other major holidays, Easter break has always involved a little bit of travelling for me. My earliest memories of Easter are getting bundled in the van and driving off to the countryside, often with aunts and cousins along. With time, the family holidays have given way to quick weekend dashes with friends and lovers. This time around, however, there has been so much to do that planning a holiday just wasn’t possible.

Not one to give up on tradition, I was determined to set off somewhere at all cost, even if it meant a Thames ferry trip. Thank god for enterprising friends though, I have been saved from a potentially depressing ferry ride. In absolutely no time, we have been able to finalise a destination that a) is not touristy and crowded and b) offers a calm and rejuvenating retreat.

We have decided to embark on a journey to the picturesque North Welsh countryside.

Those who have been anywhere in the Gower Peninsula in the South of Wales would agree that Wales is indeed one of the most beautiful parts of the British Isles. Along with the Scottish islands of Skye and North Uist, Wales remains the go-to destination every time my city weary eyes need some soothing.

It is often the popular southern Welsh attractions like the coastal areas surrounding Cardiff and Swansea, Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia in the north that get attention from tourists. While these are indeed places of beauty, most people do not realise what a short train journey further up north could unveil. Stunning hills lying in splendid isolation, flower-dotted expanses of the magnificent greens, poetry of ancient bards reverberating in the valleys and much more wait patiently to welcome you to the rural countryside of North Wales.

As this is a short trip, we have decided to visit two quaint little towns and soak in the culture instead of hurriedly rushing through a number of them. After some deliberation, we have decided on Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr as our towns of choice.

Those who have already been there tell me not to do any research on the places. Just land up there and let unspoilt beauty stun you, they keep saying. But being me, I haven’t been able to stop my fingers from slyly banging on the keyboard and finding out a little. Pristine, sandy beaches, Victorian piers and promenades, rich bird life, genteel charm, elegant houses, activities like sailing, windsurfing and canoeing, coastal walks etc are some of delights I have been promised. Can’t wait to set off, fingers crossed!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>