Time to tame that temper!

angerImagine this: You have been making plans with your best friends to go camping for the last two weeks and the day has finally come. Alas, it is threatening to rain. Forecast claimed the sun would be beating down your roof but met forecasts are almost as reliable as the office gossip is. Nonetheless, you fervently pray it won’t actually rain but it eventually does. You hope it will be a light drizzle and clear out but it starts to pour. With a heavy heart, you cancel the plan. About an hour later, it clears out and voila! The sun actually beats down your roof. Excited, you call your mates but they have already made plans. You even took your day off from work and now you are home alone with nothing to do.

How does that make you feel? If I was in your situation, this would make me angry. No, make that very, very angry!

Wikipedia describes anger as ‘an emotion related to one’s psychological interpretation of having been offended, overpowered, wronged or denied and a tendency to react through retaliation.” Psychologists have varying definitions. While some call it “a normal emotion that involves a strong uncomfortable and emotional response to a perceived provocation,” others have bracketed it as passive and aggressive anger.  Anger is also physically expressed with distorted facial features and often results in violent outbursts. Some of us are more prone to the emotion and some others are better able to deal with it, no matter what the source of the emotion is. Though both are normal and common, it is universally accepted that those with better coping mechanisms often lead better lives. Anger can quickly become danger and destroy a lot of things in a very short span of time.

28th August is considered World Anger Day and thus, to me, seems like a good day to begin your internal anger detoxification. If you think you are prone to angry outbursts or have had friends tell you that you need to keep your anger in check, this might be the right time to take that step towards self enhancement. You can opt for conventional or unconventional methods, depending on how you like to tackle things. Consulting a counsellor is one of the ways to go about it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>