Understanding the Chakras – Part I

chakraMany of us have, at some point or the other, dabbled in alternative medicines and therapies. While some may stopped at just educating themselves on various such alternative methods of understanding ourselves, others (like me) would have gone ahead and actually tried their hands at these. The latest to catch my fancy is the Chakra system of healing.

The word ‘Chakra’ traces its origins to the ancient Indian language Sanskrit and means a vortex, wheel or circle. Traditionally, we have seven Chakras in our bodies and they serve as our personal energy vortexes. It is when all our chakras are balanced and in perfect harmony that we are devoid of stress and feel light and happy. Some believe that we are at our creative and inventive best when our chakras are balanced while others go on to say that it is only in a balanced state that we make the most money.

The first Chakra, also known as Kundalini or the root Chakra, is situated at the base of our spine. Represented by the fire element and the colour red and symbolised by the dragon or snake, the first Chakra is the foundation of the physical body. The first Chakra influences the body’s immune system, its basic impulses, instincts, achievements and responds to the musical note C. Relationships in our formative years influence this Chakra. The root Chakra is responsible for a person’s strength of character and any imbalance can lead to survival issues.

Signs of imbalance – Unable to cope with circumstances, constant tension, low stamina/energy, insecurities, exhaustion, lack of drive, discontentment, distrustful, inability to relax, major mood swings, confusion, violent angry outbursts, anxiety.

The second Chakra or the Sacral Plexus is situated at the womb area, just above the pelvic bone. Its exact location is said to be two inches behind the belly button. It is represented by the water element and the colour orange. The Sacral Plexus is the source of creativity, the foundation of our emotional body and influences our emotions and sexuality. Physically, it influences the kidneys, bladder, large intestine and reproductive organs.

Signs of imbalance – Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, lack of focus, unable to let go off the past, impotence, problems with kidneys, uterus, bladder, addictions, selfishness, envy, possessiveness and arrogance.

To be continued…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>