When Marina Abramović Made Them Cry

Marina Abramović Ain’t you proud to be a human, to be someone who can think, act, do, undo, feel, relate, and conquer many many unthinkable feats! What you feel or experience if a stranger looked right into your eyes, what would you see? I recently came across this read on the web, they were mostly pictures but let me tell you, those pictures are speaking 1000 words.

From March 14 to May 31, 2010, the Museum of Modern Art held a major retrospective and performance recreation of Abramović’s work, the biggest exhibition of performance art in MoMA’s history. She game a performance called “The Artist is Present,” a 736-hour and 30-minute static, silent piece, in which she sat immobile in the museum’s atrium, while spectators were invited to take turns sitting opposite her.

Here are some pictures photographed by Marco Anelli from this performance which was later called Marina Abramović Made Me Cry. From the book: PORTRAITS IN THE PRESENCE OF MARINA.

After 2 minutes

After 3 minutes

After 5 minutes

After 5 minutes

After 8 minutes

After 9 minutes

After 10 minutes

After 11 minutes

After 12 minutes

After 12 minutes

After 14 minutes

After 18 minutes

After 26 minutes

After 28 minutes

After 29 minutes

After 45 minutes

After 164 minutes

Born on November 30, 1946 in Serbia, is a New York-based performance artist. Abramović’s work explores the relationship between performer and audience, the limits of the body, and the possibilities of the mind.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>